- Review all life insurance policies, annuities and IRA accounts to verify primary and contingent beneficiaries. List account numbers and contact information
- Establish Durable Power of Attorney and name appropriate person to hold that power
- Identify Health Care Proxy and describe extent of care desired through a living will (I suggest you use Five Wishes form from www.agingwithdignity.org
- Discuss long term care plan with parents
- Review will and any trust agreements to determine if still relevant and confirm who executor/executrix and trustee is.
- List all bank and investment accounts, identifying account numbers and who the legal account holder is.
- Identify all internet based accounts, listing web address, user name and password. List beneficiary for each account.
- Identify all key professional contacts including, attorney, financial adviser, accountant, banker and spiritual adviser. Note desired contact information.
- Maintain a record of where all the above forms, documents and information are stored. I suggest using either a three ringed notebook or a web based dropbox for storage. make sure your spouse and children know the location of these records