4 Steps to Protect Your Parent with Alzheimer’s

Once your parent has been diagnosed with Alzheimer’s disease you must make certain that a plan is in place to protect her and your family. You cannot delay. In order to sign legal documents your parent must have the mental capacity to know and understand the act which she is engaging in and have a desire to engage in that transaction. Once your parent  contracts Alzheimer’s disease her mental capacity may still be sufficient to sign the documents necessary to create a plan but action must be taken while she still has that capacity.

You should make sure the following 4 steps are taken to protect your parent and your family.

1.  The parent must have a Durable Power of Attorney. With this power  she names a representative/agent to make decisions on her behalf. A Financial Power of Attorney allows the representative to make financial decisions for her. The Medical Power of Attorney gives the representative the authority to make medical decisions. In some states the Medical Power is identified as a Health Care Proxy. Since these powers are specified as “Durable” they will still be valid if the individual is no longer mentally competent to make these decisions.

It is important that the parent select someone to have this power that he or she can trust and is easily accessible to help with financial and healthcare decisions. It may be one of the children, a close friend or adviser. A successor should also be named to take over the responsibility if the first person is no longer available.

2. Each parent should also have a will drafted specifying who should get their property at their death. . Again they must have the mental capacity to approve such a document. That means they must know who their family members are, what assets they have and whom they want them passed to. If they do not have a will the state they live in will determine how their assets are to be split up…

3. Your parent should also have Advance Directives in place. Advance Directives are documents that tell the Alzheimer’s patient’s  family members, caregivers and doctors what their end of life choices are and what health care they want to receive. The family and healthcare professionals are expected to act in accordance with these wishes. Advanced Directives include a Living Will. The Living Will is a document that a person uses to control their medical care if they become mentally incapacitated and can’t make end of life health care decisions.

The Living Will should include a statement that if the person is mentally incapacitated certain instructions should be followed to provide medical treatment to them. It should also state when life-sustaining treatment should be terminated. If a patient contracts Alzheimer’s disease after completing a Living Will and is in the late stages of the disease, there is a question if medical treatment can be denied in accordance with the document. But although Alzheimer’s is an irreversible disease it is not defined as a terminal illness. When a person dies they do not die as a direct result of Alzheimer’s but as a result of another complication such as pneumonia.

4. Your parent must also have A DNR or do not resuscitate order on file with  her care providers. A DNR must be signed by  her physician. It is an order from that physician to hospital staff and emergency medical services professionals stating under what circumstances that they not perform medical intervention if your parent is dying. At any point if your parent is still “competent” your parent or his or her representative can revoke a DNR. The verbal wishes of a competent patient always supersede a DNR.

If an Alzheimer’s patient does not have a Durable Power Attorney named or does not have a Living Will it will often fall on the courts to determine who has the ability to make medical or financial decisions for that person. This is often a very time consuming process that can cause excessive delay in making important decisions. It is very important that family members make certain that Alzheimer’s patients put these documents in place while they still have the mental capacity to do so.


8 thoughts on “4 Steps to Protect Your Parent with Alzheimer’s

  1. I have a situation where I had POA, but my Mom revoked it because, I believe, she knew her independence should be curtailed, but she couldn’t accept the fact. What recourse do my sisters and I have to protect her from herself? In the last 9 months we had to accept her living independently and it resulted in a lengthly hospital/rehab stay to counteract the results of mis-medication, poor nutrition, safety dangers. How can we prevent this series of events occurring again?

    • Seek out the assistance of an eldercare attorney in your area. You may have to apply to become her conservator which will require going before the probate court. if you need help finding an eldercare atty please let me know. me know.

  2. I am taking care of my eighty year old father whom now has full blown Alzheimers, and has no idea where his will is. What will I do if something happens to him in my care?

    • Lori,

      Do you know if your father had an attorney draft the will? Check with local attorneys to see if they know him. Do you have the power of attorney to handle your dad’s affairs? If not you have to go to the probate court and become his conservator.
      You can email me directly at bob@parentcareplanning.com. With questions. I. Will do my best to respond.

  3. My father has the late stages of Alzheimers and I have power of attorney and medical power of attorney. He is 87 and if something happens like a heart attack I would not want him ressitated due to his current quality of life. Do I need to do a living will for him or some other type of document to file with the nursing home or hospital ?

    • Robin,

      Although you should have both a Living Will and a Health Care Proxy for your father, in many emergencies they will not be useful. You should request a DNR ( Do Not Resuscitate) Form indicating under what circumstances he should not be resuscitated. The appropriately filled out state sponsored form must be signed by person who has a durable power of attorney and cosigned by your father’s physician. If an Emergency Medical Technician (EMT) is not handed a valid DNR form he or she will most likely attempt resuscitation. A Living Will or Health Care Proxy will not be sufficient to stop them. I could not find specific information for where each state’s DNR form can be found. I would suggest you contact your father’s physician, your state medical association or a local ambulance company to find the right form.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s